Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)

Adobe Illustrator (AI) for Windows. Adobe Illustrator is a vector-based drawing program developed and marketed by Adobe. The latest version, Illustrator CS4, is the fourteenth generation in the product line. Numerous new features include multiple artboards in a single document, a "blob brush" that is similar to the brush in Adobe Flash, and supports transparency in gradients among other features. 

Keywords Adobe, Illustrator, Windows, Brochure, need, reduce, file, size, printing

Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Goto page 1, 2  Next
   Adobe Illustrator (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)

AuthorMessage
txbonfire (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

I created a brochure in AI. I will be sending it to a printer who needs the file no bigger than 5MB. The printer suggested flattening the AI file then opening in Photoshop and saving as a PSD. My question is "what is the best way to flatten this file and keep the resolution as high as possible?"

Here is what I am doing right now:
1. Open file in AI
2. Select / All
3. Object / Flatten Transparency
- Preset = high resolution
- Rastor/Vector balance = 100
- line art and text resolution = 1200
- gradient and mesh resolution = 300
- convert all text to outlines = unchecked
- convert all strokes to outlines = unchecked
- preserve alpha transparency = unchecked
- preserve overprints and spot colors = checked
- PROBLEM HERE....even though convert all text to outlines is unchecked, there is one piece of text that gets outlined. why?
4. Save a copy of the file
- during the save process I get 2 warnings
- the document raster effects resolution is 72dpi or less (how do I change this??)
- only fonts with appropriate permission bits will be embedded
5. I then open the flattened file with Adobe Photoshop CS with the following Page Options:
- crop to = bounding box
- resolution = was 72 pixels/inch but I changed to 125 pixels/inch to get the file size to less than 5 MB
- mode = rgb color
- bit depth = 8 bit
- anit-aliased checked

Thanks so much for your help,
Angela
John_Slate (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

It sounds to me like your printer is a complete moron

rasterizing in Photoshop will in most cases make for larger file sizes not smaller, and I'm not sure how it will be printed but I would think 125ppi is too low.

What type of printer can't take a file that is bigger than 5MB???

That is pure idiocy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

I think i have it figured out. First, the 5MB rule for Vista Print applied to the business cards. However each page of my brochure (as an ai file) is between 30 and 40 MB. So, I still needed to get that size down. What worked was the following:
1. flattening the file in Ai with preset = high res
2. opening the flattened file with photoshop cs
3. saving this file as a jpg at 300 pixels/inch (vista print recommendation)

It looked good and I ordered them, so hopefully they will turn out ok.
Thanks,
Angela
Jacob_Bugge (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Angela,

- PROBLEM HERE....even though convert all text to outlines is unchecked,
there is one piece of text that gets outlined. why? - during the save
process I get 2 warnings - the document raster effects resolution is 72dpi
or less (how do I change this??) - only fonts with appropriate permission
bits will be embedded

I would try to solve these puzzles before going to print.

- mode = rgb color

I presume we are talking regular CMYK print; if so, RGB is bad.

saving this file as a jpg at 300 pixels/inch (vista print recommendation)

With this recommendation I would start running.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Jacob,
If not RGB then what? Why is RGB bad?
Thanks,
Angela

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Jacob,
Talk to me about the 300 pixels/inch.
Thanks,
Angela
Mark_McKelvey (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

RGB is a display color space: computer monitors, scanners, digital cameras and televisions for example. CMYK is a print color space. 72 pixels per inch is ok for computer display and tv (for the most part). Printers want your images to be at least 260 lpi or 300 dpi. Display resolution and print resolution are 2 different animals.

"3. saving this file as a jpg at 300 pixels/inch (vista print recommendation)"

If they recommend submitting jpgs I'd look for different printer. If your images are raster based (Photoshop) to reduce file size convert to cmyk and either save as tiffs or flattened photoshop files at the actual size that they are placed in Indesign or Illustrator and at a resolution of 300ppi. Ie: if the image/graphic is 2"x 2" in your finished, printed document make sure that linked file is at least 2" by 2" and 300 pixels per inch.
Do you have a lot of placed images in the Illustrator file?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Angela,

In continuation of the reMarks from Mark,

Each time you convert between RGB and CMYK Color Mode, the colours will change, whether it happens in Illy, at the printer, or elsewhere. So you will get something different from what you created.

JPEG is a lossy format: every time you create or change a JPEG image, some of the information is lost, clear colours/parts get dirty, etc. Just look at the panties here, riginally created as line art, do they look clean? Jacob Bugge, "Static HTML, Flash, scalability, dotnetnuke!!!???" #164, 23 Jun 2006 7:22 am </cgi-bin/webx?14 (A_T) (A_T) .3bc08c35/164>

If you have placed images, especially JPEGs, the file size will grow because they are uncompressed; linked JPEGs have to follow the file but they are uncompressed so the total size of file(s) is much smaller.
Ned_Yeung (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Angela,

All of the above comments are true, INCLUDING the one about your printer being an idiot.

If it were me, rather than conform to that rule, and get a crappy print, I would just hire a professional printer.

However, if you do want to get your filesize down to under 5MB, the best thing for you to do is play around with your Flattener Presets and your PDF compression options. Unfortunately, I can't give you the best course without knowing the artwork that you've created. If it is simple vector art, it will be smaller as fully vector artwork (vector as a rule will be smaller than raster). If it is very complex, especially with masks, blends, and effects, then it may be smaller flattened, depending on the final size and resolution. You will have to play around to get the right mix for your file. There's no guarantee that you will EVER get a print quality file under 5MB. In that case, you will have to either suffer with a low-quality print, or hire a professional printer, preferrably a local one.

Your flattener pressets are under Edit => Transparency Flattener Presets. You will have to create a preset, then you can access it when you PDF the file, under the Advanced Tab (Save As...PDF).

Hope that helps...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Thank you for all the input. The printer in question is www.vistaprint.com. Like I said, the 5MB rule is specifically for business cards. I was able to upload my brochure pages after converting them to jpg and they were around 10MB after the conversion. Unfortunately I opened them with RGB color mode as opposed to CMYK. The printing is already in process. Hopefully the color issue will not be noticeable. But I have resaved my files with the appropriate color mode, thanks to these comments. If you have any suggestions for good online printing services, please let me know.
Thanks again for all your advice,
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Angela, you are welcome.

Just a comment on optimizing filesize: you can create a test copy of your document, remove specific parts, and save to specific test names, to find the memory devourer(s), if any. Based on that knowledge you can take action, posting back if needed.

It seems that vistaprint has set up a service for people with the firm knowledge that everything can be done perfectly well with Worst/JPEG. Maybe professional printers, such as John, should be thankful for the competition for these customers.
John_Slate (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

In defense of VistaPrint, see This <http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/upload/UploadChooseProduct.aspx?pfid=150#details>

I retract my “moron” comment...

more or less.

It does seem that they advocate rasterizing in Photoshop Here <http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/customer_care/help/answer.aspx?qid=5,697>

It seems that they accept PDFs, and even have distiller job options that one can download.

As far as keeping file sizes below 12MB for a letter-extra size, I would think that making sure your embedded rasters were cropped tight would help.

Illustrator creates weighty files as a rule, so the best advice might be to create the piece in InDesign if possible and export to PDF using VistaPrint’s distiller options as a guide.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Like John, I retract my running comment: walking away is fast enough.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Well, the brochures have been ordered like I said. The color mode is wrong, but we will have to see what happens.

Again, I would like to ask if any of you have advice for a good online printing service. Or is it best to deal with local companies?

And should a printing company be able to accept a large ai file?

Thanks,
Angela

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brochure - need to reduce file size for printing

Angela,

Again, I would like to ask if any of you have advice for a good online
printing service. Or is it best to deal with local companies?

I cannot advise you from over here where it is 10:30 PM now.

And should a printing company be able to accept a large ai file?

My answer would be yes. And with a local printer there should be no limit: you can deliver a CD.
   Adobe Illustrator (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Illustrator (For Windows)All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2